“If ever there was an unheralded, long-lost classic from the eighties this is it. It plays like the great missing H.P. Lovecraft adaptation that Stuart Gordon forgot to tell you he made.” – Kindertrauma
Worldwide Blu-ray debut in a 3-disc (1080p Blu-ray/DVD/CD) Steelbook™ limited to 3500 pieces!
As Synapse Films prepares to celebrate their 25th anniversary in 2022, perhaps no film in the company’s storied history has been as anticipated as The Kindred. After many years and a lot of hard work, The Kindred is finally ready to be unleashed, making its worldwide Blu-ray debut with a stellar new 4K restoration of the complete, unrated version of the film, accompanied by plenty of extras.
Academy Award-winning screen legends Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night; Duck, You Sucker) and Kim Hunter (A Streetcar Named Desire; Planet of the Apes) star in The Kindred, a chilling tale of a genetic experiment gone wrong… very wrong!
Kim Hunter is Dr. Amanda Hollins, a molecular scientist who calls on her son John (David Allen Brooks) to eliminate all evidence of her genetic experiments… most specifically her “Anthony Journals.” Dr. Philip Lloyd (Steiger), an acquaintance of Hollins who is familiar with her experiments, wants to continue her studies no matter the cost! John heads to his isolated childhood home with a group of friends to uncover his mother’s research and destroy it all. There’s something else in the house, however… something watching and waiting… a tentacled creature born from the desire to alter human evolution. It’s evil. It’s mad. It’s ready to kill!
One of the best “creature features” of the 1980s, utilizing all practical special effects instead of CGI, The Kindred also stars Amanda Pays (TV’s The Flash, Leviathan) and Talia Balsam (TV’s Mad Men, Homeland).
SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
- New 4K restoration of the unrated version of the film
- New 5.1 stereo surround sound remix (Original 2.0 mono theatrical mix also included)
- Audio commentary with directors Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter, moderated by horror journalist Steve Barton
- Inhuman Experiments – The Making of “The Kindred”, an all-new documentary produced by Red Shirt Pictures (52 mins.)
- A special compilation of creature effects artist Michael McCracken, Jr.’s never-before-seen on-set footage
- Still gallery and original storyboards
- Original theatrical trailer, original video promotional trailer and TV spots
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Liner notes booklet featuring writing by film scholar and horror expert Michael Gingold
- CD soundtrack of the original film score by David Newman
- Limited edition slipcover/o-card sleeve designed by Wes Benscoter, with additional Steelbook™ artwork by Alexandros Pyromallis
The 3500-unit The Kindred Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Steelbook™ is available exclusively through the Synapse Films website at: www.synapse-films.com. The retail price is $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee) with a street date of December 14, 2021. Shipping to customers will commence on that date, or as soon as the disc sets are received at Synapse Films.
All North American orders are fulfilled and shipped via our San Francisco-based replicator, CAV Distribution. For questions regarding the shipping of your order in North America, please contact CAV Distribution via this email address: email@example.com. All international orders will be handled via the fine folks at DiabolikDVD (www.diabolikdvd.com).
Pre-order from Synapse Films HERE. (North American orders only.)
Pre-order from DiabolikDVD.com HERE. (International orders only.)
This release of The Kindred is REGION FREE for world-wide playback.